Confused by the blue flashing light on your GoPro? And it keeps going even when you’ve turned the camera off?
Current Deals on GoPros:
Get $100 off HERO7 Black or Silver with TradeUp deal
GoPro is currently running a deal for the HERO7 Black and HERO7 Silver that gives you $100 off by trading in any old digital camera in any condition (including old GoPros). It doesn't matter what brand the old camera is or even if it still works. GoPro covers the cost of shipping your old camera in as well as 2-day shipping of the new camera.
The deal is only available at GoPro.com.
GoPro Fusion for $299
GoPro also has the 360-degree Fusion camera at $300 off the regular $599. Includes 2-day shipping. You can find the deal on the Fusion here.
What is the Blue Blinking Light on My GoPro?
That blue blinking light on your GoPro is the wireless status indicator (wifi and Bluetooth). If it’s blinking blue intermittently, the wireless function is turned on.
The wireless function can be on even if the rest of the camera is turned off. It’s a little more confusing than it should be because you only see it when the wireless is on and the camera isn’t recording.
What happens is that even when the main processor in the camera is powered down, you can leave the wifi connection polling intermittently so that you can wake it up with something like a GoPro Smart Remote.
There is a downside to leaving the wireless on: it drains the battery. So if you’re not using it, it’s a good idea to turn it off.
How to Turn off the Blue Light on the GoPro HERO4 Session / HERO Session
To turn off the wifi and blue flashing light:
- Press the Info/Wireless button. That’s the small, black rectangular one on the back of the camera.
- Press it again a few times until you get the Select Wireless (icon) Control / App and RC.
- Press the shutter button (round button on top of camera) to select. It will toggle a check mark and the wireless icon will animate when it’s on and be static when it’s off.
It’s also possible to turn off the blue blinking light while still having the wireless on. That can be useful if you need something a little more stealthy.
To do that:
- Connect to your camera via the GoPro mobile app.
- In the app, go to Settings.
- Scroll down to the LED Blink option and toggle it on or off.
How to Turn off the Blue Blinking Light on the HERO3 and HERO3+
It’s simpler to turn the wifi on and off with these models because they have a dedicated wifi button on the side.
- With the camera powered off, hold down to the button on the side to turn the wireless on or off.