The HERO (2018) is a little more limited than many GoPros when it comes to controlling the camera remotely because it isn’t compatible with GoPro’s remote controls like the Smart Remote or the Remo remote. But there are still two other ways to control the HERO (2018) remotely: using voice commands or using the wireless mobile app. Each method has its pros and cons.
The HERO (2018) has built-in support for GoPro’s voice control feature. With this, you can control some of the camera’s main actions simply by saying the command out loud. So you can say things like “GoPro start recording” or “GoPro take a photo.” Here’s the current list of commands:1
- GoPro start recording
- GoPro stop recording
- GoPro video mode
- GoPro photo mode
- GoPro take a photo
- GoPro time lapse mode
- GoPro start time lapse
- GoPro stop time lapse
- GoPro burst mode
- GoPro shoot burst
- GoPro HiLight / That was sick (adds a HiLight tag)
- GoPro turn off2
The voice commands are available in a range of languages.
GoPro HERO10 Deals
GoPro has released the HERO10 Black. The MSRP is $499, but GoPro is currently running some great deals:
- $399 / HERO10 Black + Dual Battery Charger + Spare Battery + 32GB SD Card + 1-year GoPro Subscription
- $449 / HERO10 Black + Shorty Grip + Magnetic Swivel Clip + Spare Battery + 32GB SD Card + 1-year GoPro Subscription
And with the new model out, it's a great time to pick up a deal on the HERO9 Black. You can get it for $349 with a free spare battery, a 32GB SD card, and a 1-year GoPro subscription. More details here.
With the HERO, you have to use the voice commands on the camera itself—the Remo voice remote isn’t compatible with this camera. That means that you still have to be physically close to the camera. You also need to be somewhere that you’re not being drowned out by background noise. I’ve generally been a bit underwhelmed by the reliability of the voice command method because there have been too many times it hasn’t responded when I need it to. But the option is there, and in the right combination of circumstances, it can work well.
The most powerful and flexible way to control the HERO (2018) is by using the GoPro mobile app. It was known as the Capture app for a while, but its name has been switched back again. You can download it for free here.
On the plus side, it gives you control over all of the camera’s settings and modes. Apart from being able to switch between shooting modes like video and time-lapse, you can also drill down into those modes and finetune settings like fields of view of frame rate.
It also gives you a live preview, which is really the party piece of this method.
There are some limitations and drawbacks.
- The range isn’t as good as with the Smart Remote, but you can still get a reasonable distance away from the camera (actual range varies based on things like what other signals and physical objects like buildings might interfere).
- You can only control one camera at once.
- It drains the camera’s battery more quickly, especially with the live preview on during video shooting.
You can find a step-by-step guide for the pairing process for your phone and app to the HERO (2018) on GoPro’s website.
Can you Control the HERO Remotely Underwater?
None of these options work when the camera is submerged underwater. It’s obviously pretty hard to give voice commands underwater, and wireless signals don’t penetrate through the water.
It is technically possible to jury-rig a solution, but it takes some planning and is a bit involved.
If you want to control your HERO remotely while it’s underwater, you’ll need to rig up a more involved setup with a special cable and ensuring that the connection to the camera remains watertight.
There are DIY ways to do this, but CamDo offers an off-the-shelf option. While I haven’t tried this product specifically yet, I’ve used other CamDo products in the past and have been very impressed with them. You can get them directly from CamDo.
Popular Accessories for the HERO (2018)
- 【LIFE-TIME Warranty】 30-Day money back guarantee, LIFE-TIME Warranty and friendly 7 x 15 hours...
- 【 DOUBLE LOCK】 Avoiding accidental collisions opening the housing
- Replacement mounting frame for HERO6 Black or HERO5 Black
- Smallest, lightest way to mount your HERO6 Black or HERO5 Black
- Get an awesome deal on two Accessories perfect for capturing your journeys
- Shorty (Mini extension pole + tripod) extends up to 8.9in (22.7cm) and can be propped up on any level...
- KIT INCLUDES: (3) Buckle Clip Base Mounts; (2) Surface J-Hook Buckle; (3) Long Screws with Cap; (3)Flat...
- BUCKLE CLIP BASIC MOUNT: Allows you to attach your GoPro camera to a chest Harness, Adhesive Mount or...
- 【ACTION CAMERA ACCESSORIES KIT】 - BMUUPY Sports Action Camera Accessories Bundle for Gopro Hero...
- 【MULTIFUNTIONAL USAGE METHODS】 - BMUUPY Action Camera Accessories Kit include: Adjustable Selfie...
Images and product information from Amazon PA-API were last updated on 2021-09-22 at 11:39. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon Site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.