The HERO (2018) is a little more limited than many GoPros when it comes to controlling the camera remotely because it isn’t compatible with GoPro’s remote controls like the Smart Remote or the Remo remote. But there are still two other ways to control the HERO (2018) remotely: using the voice commands or using the wireless mobile app. Each method has its pros and cons.
The HERO (2018) has built-in support for GoPro’s voice control feature. With this, you can control some of the camera’s main actions simply by saying the command out loud. So you can say things like “GoPro start recording” or “GoPro take a photo.” Here’s the current list of commands:1
- GoPro start recording
- GoPro stop recording
- GoPro video mode
- GoPro photo mode
- GoPro take a photo
- GoPro time lapse mode
- GoPro start time lapse
- GoPro stop time lapse
- GoPro burst mode
- GoPro shoot burst
- GoPro HiLight / That was sick (adds a HiLight tag)
- GoPro turn off2
The voice commands are available in a range of languages.
With the HERO, you have to use the voice commands on the camera itself—the Remo voice remote isn’t compatible with this camera. That means that you still have to be physically close to the camera. You also need to be somewhere that you’re not being drowned out by background noise. I’ve generally been a bit underwhelmed by the reliability of the voice command method because there have been too many times it hasn’t responded when I need it to. But the option is there, and in the right combination of circumstances, it can work well.
Get $100 OFF HERO8 Black
GoPro is currently running what they're calling their best deal ever on the GoPro HERO8 Black. It's $100 off, bringing it down to $299.99. They're throwing in a 32GB SanDisk Extreme microSD card and free 2-day shipping. You can find the deal at GoPro.com.
And for a great starter package, they also have $150 off a HERO8 Black bundle that includes an extra battery, Shorty Grip, Head Strap, a 32GB SanDisk Extreme microSD card, and free 2-day shipping, all for $349.99. You can find that deal here.
The most powerful and flexible way to control the HERO (2018) is by using the GoPro mobile app. It was known as the Capture app for a while, but its name has been switched back again. You can download it for free here.
On the plus side, it gives you control over all of the camera’s settings and modes. Apart from being able to switch between shooting modes like video and time lapse, you can also drill down into those modes and finetune settings like fields of view of frame rate.
It also gives you a live preview, which is really the party piece of this method.
There are some limitations and drawbacks.
- The range isn’t as good as with the Smart Remote, but you can still get a reasonable distance away from the camera (actual range varies based on things like what other signals and physical objects like buildings might interfere).
- You can only control one camera at once.
- It drains the camera’s battery more quickly, especially with the live preview on during video shooting.
You can find a step-by-step guide for the pairing process for your phone and app to the HERO (2018) on GoPro’s website.
Can you Control the HERO Remotely Underwater?
None of these options work when the camera is submerged underwater. It’s obviously pretty hard to give voice commands underwater, and wireless signals don’t penetrate through the water.
It is technically possible to jury-rig a solution, but it takes some planning and is a bit involved.
If you want to control your HERO remotely while it’s underwater you’ll need to rig up a more involved setup with a special cable and ensuring that the connection to the camera remains watertight.
There are DIY ways to do this, but CamDo offers an off-the-shelf option. While I haven’t tried this product specifically yet, I’ve used other CamDo products in the past and been very impressed with them. You can get them directly from CamDo.
Popular Accessories for the HERO (2018)
- Multi-Use: Specially designed for different camera models to meet your needs. Easily connects to many...
- WRIST STRAP + CAR SUCTION CUP MOUNT: Wrist strap features 360° rotation and helps keep your camera safe...
- 【Professional Design】Specially designed for GoPro Hero 7 Black/ Hero 6 / hero 5 / Hero HD (2018),...
- 【Inallation is a Breeze】No need to remove cover lens before placing camera in housing. Just open the...
- Waterproof housing case for GoPro 7 Black/ 6 / 5 / Hero (2018): Made of excellent PMMA material,...
- Upgrade waterproof case, easy to install. It's no need to remove cover lens before camera is put into the...
- Replacement mounting frame for HERO6 Black or HERO5 Black
- Smallest, lightest way to mount your HERO6 Black or HERO5 Black
- Smallest and lightest way to mount your camera, PC material offers perfect protection from dust, dirt and...
- This frame mount contains fine cut-outs for USB, Micro SD and Micro HDMI ports, allowing you complete...
Images and product information from Amazon PA-API were last updated on 2020-08-05 at 18:28. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon Site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.