GoPro has revealed the new HERO8 Black. They’ve set the price at $399.99. I’ve put together a roundup of GoPro deals separately.
GoPro HERO8 Black Key Specs
Here are the highlights:
- Video resolution/framerates. The highest video rates are still 4K60 and 1080p240, the same as the HERO7 Black, but the maximum bitrate has been bumped up to 100Mb/s.
- New Mod Accessories. There are three new dedicated accessories, or Mods: an external mic, a flip-up display, and an attached light. The accessories are coming later–they’re expected to be available for preorder in December.
- Improved in-camera processing. Improvements to in-camera processing, with upgraded versions of HyperSmooth video stabilization, TimeWarp, and SuperPhoto.
- New LiveBurst feature. There’s a new LiveBurst feature that pre-rolls still burst mode photos. It starts shooting 1.5 seconds before you press the shutter and then gives you a burst of 90 images to choose from.
- Night Lapse Video added. It also has Night Lapse Video, so you can use the extended shutter times with a time lapse compiled in-camera now rather than having to compile the images to video afterwards. In previous models, only Night Lapse Photo was available.
- Built-in mount point on the bottom of the camera. There’s a new built-in mounting point that folds away into the base of the camera, so you won’t need to use the frame housing to mount the camera.
- Live streaming in 1080p.
- Some usability improvements such as custom presets (one of the features I suspected they might add after DJI did it on the Osmo Action) and quicker FOV switching now called digital lenses.
- The RAW photo format is now available in all photo modes rather than just some.
- It’s priced at $399.99.
You can find the official instruction manual for the GoPro HERO8 Black here (PDF).
- Streamlined design: the reimagined shape is more pocketable, and folding fingers at the base let you swap...
- HyperSmooth 2.0: Smooth just got smoother. Now HERO8 Black has three levels of stabilization—On, High...
Where to Buy the HERO8 Black Now
There’s likely to be high demand for the HERO8 Black as we head towards the holiday season, so if you’re looking to get one you might want to grab your place in the queue sooner rather than later.
The HERO8 Black is now shipping orders placed at GoPro.com. That’s where I ordered mine, and I already have them. B&H Photo is also taking preorders; they’re expected to take delivery of their first stock on October 24.
The mods should be available for pre-order in December. No word yet on when they’ll actually start shipping. Here are GoPro’s descriptions of the mods:
The Media Mod, Display Mod and Light Mod are modular accessories that enable users to enhance the performance of their HERO8 Black.
The Media Mod ($79.99) is an add-on frame for HERO8 Black that provides professional-grade shotgun-mic performance, two cold shoe mounts plus I/O support including a 3.5mm external mic port, HDMI and USB Type-C ports.
The Display Mod ($79.99) is a folding, 1.9″ front-facing display that attaches to the Media Mod to make framing easy when vlogging and using HERO8 Black as a selfie camera. When not in use, the Display Mod can fold down and out of the way, functioning as a rear-facing display.
The Light Mod ($49.99) is a waterproof (33′ / 10m), rechargeable LED light that can attach to the Media Mod or any GoPro mount to provide enhanced lighting in low light settings. Given its versatility, the Light Mod very well may be the world’s most versatile light.
Images and product information from Amazon PA-API were last updated on 2020-02-21 at 19:39. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon Site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.