Some readers have been asking about the precise dimensions of the GoPro HERO9 Black so that they can try to determine whether it will fit in existing accessories.
GoPro provides this information in some useful illustrations, but it’s under the tech specs section, which isn’t all that obvious to find on their website. So I’m including the illustrations below.
Official GoPro Measurements of the GoPro HERO9 Black
These are the measurements they provide:
- Total Height: 55.0 mm
- Total Width: 71.0 mm
- Total Depth (from back to the front of the lens port): 33.6 mm
They only provide the dimensions in metric, and they’re so precise that I don’t want to introduce potential errors with my own conversions to imperial. But it’s easy to find online conversion tools.
It’s obviously an incomplete list. They don’t seem to provide measurements for the depth of the lens port back to the main body or the precise positions of the buttons or ports, all of which might be important if you’re trying to see whether the new camera will fit in an existing cage or frame.
So here are my measurements of some of the missing dimensions. For these, I used digital calipers. I’ve tried to be as accurate with it as I can, but it’s possible they might be off by a millimeter or so here or there.
- Body thickness (without lens port): 27.5 mm / 1.1 inch
- Lens Port Width: 31.8 mm / 1.26 inches
- Lens Port Height: 31.8 mm / 1.26 inches
- Lens Port Depth: 5.3mm / 0.21 inches
The fold-down attachment fingers are centered on the camera, as they were with the HERO8 Black.
When you’re looking at the top with the lens pointed away, the shutter button is the same distance from the left as with the HERO8 Black. But the HERO9 Black’s extra width means that there’s more space to the right of the shutter button.
They’ve gone back to a removable lens port on this camera, and it’s slightly deeper than the non-removable lens port on the HERO8 Black.
Weight of the GoPro HERO9 Black
With the battery and a memory card installed (but no other attachments), it’s weighing in at 5.6 ounces / 159 grams.
GoPro HERO9 Measurements Diagrams
Here are the design illustrations provided by GoPro.
Price & Availability of the GoPro HERO9 Black
Check the current price and availability at:
- 5K Video - Shoot stunning video with up to 5K resolution, perfect for maintaining detail even when...
- 20MP Photo with SuperPhoto - Capture crisp, pro-quality photos with 20MP clarity. And with SuperPhoto,...
Images and product information from Amazon PA-API were last updated on 2023-09-26 at 15:42. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon Site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
New Model: GoPro HERO12 Black
Released in September 2023, the HERO12 Black is GoPro's newest model.
- 5.3K60 / 4K120 / 2.7K240 Video
- 27MP Photos
- Waterproof to 33ft/10m
- HyperSmooth 6.0 Stabilization
- Shoot 5.3K60 & 4K120 video at up to 120Mbps bitrate
- HDR video up to 5.3K30
- Horizon Lock keeps level even during movement
- Take 27MP photos (5568 x 4872 pixels)
- 1/1.9" CMOS sensor
- Waterproof to 33ft / 10m, so you can take it swimming, paddling, surfing, or snorkeling without a separate housing
- Built-in mount point
- HyperSmooth 6.0 In-camera Video Stabilization creates smooth video without a gimbal
- Shoot up to 8x slow motion