But there’s a catch: you can’t make up your own camera name (SSID) or password. You can only have the camera generate a new password itself. It’ll be some combination of short word 4 or 5 letters long followed by four randomly generated numbers. Something like
scuba6512, for instance. And if you’re using multiple GoPros, it means you’re going to have a different password for each camera.
Because the HERO5 Black and HERO5 Session have very different on-camera menu systems, the procedure for resetting the password is different for each model.
How to Reset GoPro HERO5 Black & HERO6 Black Wifi Password
With the HERO5 Black, the resetting is done with the back LCD touchscreen.
- With the camera turned on, swipe down from the top of the screen. You’ll get a menu that includes Connect and Preferences.
- Choose Connect.
- Scroll down until you come to Reset Connections.
- Choose Reset.
- You should see a temporary message that says: “All connections reset.”
The camera will then do a quick refresh. Obviously, this is going to break any wifi connections you have set up. If you’re using the GoPro smartphone app, for instance, you’ll need to first reconnect the wifi connection with your phone using the new password.
But, oddly, the reset procedure doesn’t automatically show you is the camera’s name and new password. To find that out, you do this:
- Go to the Connect menu again.
- Scroll down to the Camera Information section to the Name & Password item.
- Make a note of the new camera name and password.
- Reestablish your wifi connection from your phone or computer.
Another way to display the information is to use the camera’s menu to connect to the GoPro Quik app–the camera name and password will show on screen during that process.
How to Reset GoPro HERO5 Session Wifi Password
The menu system on the HERO5 Session is obviously a little different. Instead of the LCD touchscreen of the Black, you have a two-line text screen. But it can still be used to reset the GoPro’s wifi password.
Here’s how you do it:
- Make sure the camera is off. Then press the Menu button. That’s the small, rectangular black one on the back panel of the camera. You’ll have to hold it in momentarily—a quick tap won’t do it.
Press that same button several times to scroll through the menu items until you get to Connection Settings.
Press the Shutter button to select it (the round button on top with the red circle). 4. Press the Menu button again a few times to scroll through the options until you get to Reset Connections.
Press the Shutter button to select.
Use the Menu button to change to Yes.
Press the Shutter button to select and confirm Yes.
The display should then say “Wi-fi Reset Successful.”
To find out the camera name and new password:
- Repeat steps 1-3 above to access the Connection Settings menu item.
- Press the Menu item button item to scroll through to the Camera Info menu item.
- Press the Shutter button to select. It will then display the came name (ID line) and new wifi password.
How to Change the Camera Name
You can’t, unfortunately. The camera name is hard-coded and doesn’t change when you reset the connections. I use multiple GoPros, so I’d love to be able to specify a more meaningful camera name for each one so I can tell them apart. But it can’t be done on these particular models (but can be done on later models and some earlier ones).