Fujifilm has become known in recent years for making some of the best high-end digital mirrorless cameras on the market. They have excellent optics, top-notch features, and superb image quality. But what may be their best-selling range of cameras has next to nothing in common with those. And they even use, um, film.
Their Instax range has become more than a fringe novelty item. If you look up the best-selling cameras on Amazon, for example, they take out most of the top 10 or so spots, above the GoPros and the Nikon D3400. Polaroid must really be kicking themselves for missing this one—it’s the kind of camera Polaroid made famous, but this isn’t a Polaroid camera, it’s one by FujiFilm. (Polaroid does have something quite similar, the Polaroid Snap, but it hasn’t caught on in the same way.)
The image quality is so-so, there’s room for improvement in the usability, and it’s bigger than you might expect and won’t fit in your pocket. But reviewing these with an eye on any of the usual concerns like image quality is rather missing the point. These are designed to be fun.
I’d never used one of these before but was curious about them. So we gave one to our 4-year-old for his birthday, which would also give me the chance to sneak in some time with it. In short, he’s had a blast. Once we showed him how to line up the viewfinder and push the shutter, he was off. He puts quite a lot of thought into the photos, and with a surprisingly high success rate, he’s built up a collection of fun photos of the kinds of thing a 4-year-old cares about like family and friends and pets.
After you take a photo, the film starts pushing out of the top. And exactly like the old Polaroid film, you have to wait a minute or so as the image gradually appears. That’s definitely an element of delayed gratification, but it’s just as well spraying the shutter too quickly chews through film in a hurry.
Want to post it to Instagram or Facebook? Good luck with that. You will literally have to take a photo of the photo. But that’s kind of missing the point–there’s something about each photo’s uniqueness that adds to the appeal. It’s a one-off, and that makes it special. And it’s a real throwback to be able to hold it in your hand.
FujiFilm Instax Mini 8 Film
These cameras have a dedicated kind of film: Instax Mini Instant Film, which you can by at Amazon. They come in packs of 10 shots, so it’s worth picking up a few boxes. I’ve found that the bundle packs often present good value, and it’s handy to have spares on hand.
The film is ISO 800, so is usable under flexible lighting conditions. The size of each piece of film is about 3.4 x 2.1 inches (8.6 x 5.4 cm). Like the old Polaroid film, though, a good chunk of that is taken up with white border frame. The actual image window is 2.4 x 1.8 inches (6.2 x 4.6 cm).
It comes out to around 75 cents per photo for the basic film, and you can buy it in bulk.
You can also get versions will all sorts of cutesy frames in place of the usual white, including rainbows, stripes, or stars, if those are more your style. Something that might appeal more is that there’s a monochrome film version for classic black and white.
Sere are some examples:
- Includes 10-frame, instax monochrome film
- Expands the potential for artistic, fashion and street photography
- Compatible with all Fujifilm Instax Mini Cameras
- 20 SHEETS for the Fujifilm Instax Cameras Mini 8, Mini 9, Mini 90, Mini 70, Mini 50S, Mini 25, Mini HELLO...
- TOP NOTCH QUALITY - All our accessories are made of high quality material that will not fade, tear apart...
- Includes 10-frame, instax Airmail film.
- Each frame looks like a classic airmail envelope.
- Includes 10-frame, instax Candy Pop film.
- Fun polkadot frame
- Black border film to help fuel your creativity
- 10 Exposure film pack
- Develops Instantly - Press the shutter, capture the moment, and watch the photo slide out and the image...
- Easy-to-Load Cartridge - Film cartridge is designed and labeled for easy loading and filled with film for...
Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Film Camera Accessories
The most important accessory for this camera is the film, but if you’re so inclined, you can accessories your Instax Mini in all sorts of ways. Many of them seem to be aimed at kids, but you can also get things like understated retro cases.
This isn’t an ordinary camera, and it can’t really be compared with all that much on the market these days. And yet is has become an unlikely best-seller.
Having used it and seeing it being used, it’s undeniably fun. It’s simple enough for a 4-year-old, and they’re just as much fun for grown-ups. They’re also very popular at wedding receptions–they’re often put on the tables for the guests to help themselves with taking photos. And they’re a fun gift idea.
You’ll find a huge range of different colors, the film, and accessories on Amazon.
- Takes 2 AA Batteries; Picture size 62 x 46 millimeter; Viewfinder Real image finder, 0.37x, with target...
- New Selfie Mirror,Shutter Shutter speed:1 per 60 sec
- New Selfie Mirror; Auto power off time: 5 minutes; Constant firing flash (automatic light adjustment);...
- New Macro Lens adapter for close ups 35 centimeter to 50 centimeter; Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
- New Selfie Mirror; Auto power off time: 5 min
- New Macro Lens adapter for close ups 35 centimeter to 50 centimeter; Shutter speed: 1 per 60 sec
- New Selfie Mirror, Picture size: 2.4 X 1.8 Inches
- New Macro Lens adapter for close ups 35 centimeter to 50 centimeter
- Takes 2 AA Batteries
- New Selfie Mirror; Picture size: 62 x 46 millimeter and shutter speed 1 per 60 seconds (fixed), the flash...
Images and product information from Amazon PA-API were last updated on 2019-12-11 at 11:38. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon Site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.