Back in the days of film and manual cameras, a dead battery was only a minor inconvenience. But with modern digital cameras, a dead battery brings things to a grinding halt.
The Nikon D7500 has pretty good battery life with basic shooting, although it goes down drastically if you're using the back screen a lot, using lenses with vibration reduction, or are shooting in very cold conditions. So there are definitely times that having a spare battery on hand can come in very handy so that you don't get caught out with a dead battery and camera that can't shoot.
So here's a rundown of some of the best options for picking up replacement batteries and chargers for the Nikon D7500.
Nikon Original Batteries and Chargers
Nikon Original Battery: EN-EL15a
The older EN-EL15a batteries will also work, so if you've got those on hand from other cameras, you can go ahead and use those. But if you have a choice of buying the EN-EL15a or the EN-EL15 in the Nikon original batteries, go with the newer "a" version. They're more efficient and they have improved protection against an overheating problem that led to a voluntary recall of some older batches of the EN-EL15 batteries. (You'll often find that after-market alternatives drop the "a").
It's also worth buying from a reputable retailer. Just as with memory cards, there are counterfeit batteries on the market in some places.
Nikon Original Charger: MH-25a Quick Charger
The battery charger that comes with the D7500 is the MH-25a Quick Charger. It's a single-battery charger that can be plugged directly into the wall or via a standard power cable.
After-Market Batteries and Chargers for the Nikon D7500
The Nikon original batteries work well, but they're not cheap. So some other manufacturers have stepped in to offer good-quality alternatives at lower prices. The batteries have fundamentally the same specs--some of them are rated for slightly higher capacity up to 2100mAh rather than the 1900mAh of the original Nikon battery, but they do fundamentally the same thing without offering any extra features. But some of the third-party chargers do offer different configurations and features that can come in useful.
There are a number of manufacturers who make cheaper after-market batteries, and in my experience some of them are very good. But some are definitely better than others. The ones below are all from brands I've used personally and have had good experiences with their products.
There is a risk worth knowing about when deciding whether to use after-market batteries. Many of today's cameras have the capability to detect information from the battery itself on the battery's manufacturer. That opens the possibility that the camera manufacturer can, through a firmware update, disable the use of third-party batteries. Not every camera manufacturer does it, and for now third-party batteries are working in the D7500. But it's worth knowing that it is at least a possibility. The saving grace is that most third-party batteries are relatively inexpensive.
Wasabi Power EN-EL-15
Wasabi Power specialize in cost-effective alternative batteries and power supplies. Having used many of their batteries in recent years I've found them to produce excellent products at compelling price points. You can buy several of their EN-EL15-compatible batteries for the price of one Nikon original.
It's also sold in a 2-pack.
Buy at: Amazon
Watson EN-EL15 Battery
Watson is one of the brands owned by B&H, and I've found them to produce good products. This is a straight replacement for the EN-EL15 battery, although it is higher-priced than the Wasabi one above.
Buy at: B&H Photo
Wasabi Battery and Charger Kit
Buy at: Amazon
RAVPower Battery and Charger Kit
Buy at: Amazon
NITECORE UNK1 Charger
Because this charges with the USB standard, it opens up more flexibility than the AC-only options. You can charge it with a standard USB-AC wall adapter. You can plug it into a USB car charger. And you can plug it into mobile USB powerbank for true on-the-go charging.
It also has a small LCD screen that gives you status information, etc. It doesn't come with a battery
I've previously posted a detailed review of this charger. One of the things I like most about it is its size. It's about half the size of the original Nikon MH-25a charger, which might not matter all the time, but when I'm packing very light for a travel shoot every little bit counts. And for that reason, it has become a go-to charger in my travel kit.
Watson Compact AC/DC Charger
The key feature of this charger is its compact size. It's a single-battery charger with a flip-out AC plug to go into the wall and also comes with a DC car charger. The USB port on it is an output, so you can use it to charge other devices.
Buy at: B&H Photo
Watson Duo Charger
This is my favorite charging dock at home. It's a little bulkier than some others, so I don't tend to pack it when traveling. Some time ago I posted a detailed review.
When buying, make sure that it's coming with the plates you want, because it's sold with a bunch of different configurations for different batteries. You can also pick up the plates separately.
Images and product information from Amazon Product Advertising API were last updated on 2018-08-16 at 02:45.
Popular Accessories for the Nikon D7500
- Perfectly designed for the Nikon DSLR Camera. The 0.3mm screen protector leaves the touching sensitivity...
- Waterproof LCD Tempered Glass Screen Protector fit perfectly for Nikon D7500 Digital SLR Camera. Not for...
- This exclusive HD technology makes perfect visual feast. This Nikon D7500 Screen protector made from high...
- designed for Nikon D7500 suit perfect （Lcd tempered glass 2 pack ,high clear shoulder screen protector...
- This LCD protector is self adhesive, leaves no imprint silicon and does no harm to Camera LCD screen and...
- Adhesive for fast, easy and gapless installation without affecting the sensitivity of the touch screen
- Wireless Shutter Release -Trigger the cameras shutter release remotely from a distance
- Eliminates vibrations caused by physically pressing the shutter release.
- Operating range- up to 16 ft.
- Versatile Charging Option: Common micro-USB input and the ability to charge with a USB wall charger, car...
- More Battery, More Photo: Triple your camera runtime with a complete backup package including two...
- Exactly Like The Original: But bigger capacity of 2100mAh/14.7w Battery, can charge inside the camera, or...
- Innovative circular design takes up less space than blocky 2- or 3-axis levels
- Protect your hot shoe from getting bent or damaged, help to keep moisture and dust from the hot shoe
- Slides into your hot shoe, remains unobtrusive