One of the fundamental and probably among the first functions you’ll do on the Nikon D7500 is format the memory card. It’s always a good idea to do this in the camera because it reduces the risk of something going wrong.
There are two methods to formatting the memory card on the Nikon D7500. One of them is obvious; one of them is less so.
Method 1: Using the Menu
- Press the Menu button on the back of the camera.
- From the left panel of icons, scroll down to the wrench (spanner) icon. (If it’s grayed out, check that you’ve actually inserted the memory card.)
- Choose the top option: Format Memory Card. Highlight that and hit the OK button (or press to the right).
- Choose Yes from the popup menu. As a safety precaution, it will default to No. With Yes selected, press the OK button.
Method 2: Using the Button Shortcut
There’s actually another way to do it. It’s quicker, but there’s a bit of a trick to it that isn’t self-evident the first time you do it. Here’s how it works.
First, find the ISO and the trash can buttons. You’ll notice there are two small, red FORMAT icons next to them.
The are two tricks to using these. The first is to use them together, simultaneously.
- Press both of the red Format buttons together and hold them down for a couple of seconds until the top LCD screen shows a flashing ‘For’ (for format). If you have the back screen on you’ll also see that flashing “FORMAT”.
- Release the buttons.
- Here’s the second, less obvious, trick: you have to push them both again together. If you push one or the other or wait too long, you won’t format anything. You don’t need to hold them in this time—it reacts immediately.
If you want to cancel the process without formatting, press any other button or the shutter. It will also cancel automatically if you haven’t selected anything within five seconds.
How to Recover Photos if You’ve Accidentally Deleted Them
If you format the card before you’ve downloaded them, it might still be possible to recover them. To do that you’ll need to fire up the computer–it’s not something that you can do in the camera. I’ve put together an overview on how to recover deleted photos from a memory card here.
Popular Accessories for the Nikon D7500
- Perfectly designed for the Nikon DSLR Camera. The 0.3mm screen protector leaves the touching sensitivity...
- Waterproof LCD Tempered Glass Screen Protector fit perfectly for Nikon D7500 Digital SLR Camera. Not for...
- High-power 500mm telephoto focal length
- Includes T-mount adapter for digital and 35mm NIKON DSLR cameras
- NOTICE: This 55mm lens hood set is NOT FOR Canon 18-55mm Lens and Nikon "AF-S" DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR,...
- ULTIMATE LENS HOOD SET YOU NEED, Set includes: 55mm Reversible Tulip Flower lens hood, 55mm 3 Stages...
- Kit includes: 1 Altura Photo I-TTL Auto-Focus Dedicated Flash + Wireless Camera Flash Trigger and Camera...
- Powerful dedicated I-TTL compatible flash for Nikon Digital DSLR cameras.
- NEVER MISS A PHOTO OPPORTUNITY - You'll never miss a once-in-a-lifetime moment again by with a new...
- BRING YOUR CAMERA BACK TO LIFE Is your camera barely holding a charge? Bring it back to life with a new...