One of the constant challenges that comes with digital photography is keeping batteries charged. It’s not just a case of losing the light meter but keep on shooting anyway, as you could do back in the days of manual film cameras. With digital, if you don’t have power you don’t shoot–simple as that.
And so keeping cameras powered is now much more of an ever-present concern for photographers and a whole new opportunity for manufacturers, including after-market brands. Companies like Wasabi Power and NiteCore are stepping up to provide high-quality, affordable alternatives to the camera manufacturers’ own chargers and batteries. And from time to time they provide an improvement over what the camera manufacturers themselves provide.
On one side is a charging dock for EN-EL15/EN-EL-15A batteries. That’s the battery that the Nikon D750 and D810 cameras use. On the flip side is a bay for the Nikon EN-EL14/EN-EL14A batteries. That’s the battery for cameras like the Nikon D3400 and D5600. (There’s a more complete list of compatible batteries/cameras below.) You can charge with one battery or insert batteries in both slots and charge both simultaneously.
There’s a single LED screen that displays stats for both bays. It display things like charging status, voltage, and battery health (good, normal, or poor).
By itself, this charger doesn’t plug into an AC socket in the way. You can do that, but you’ll need a separate USB AC adapter. Any standard one for a phone or tablet will work well–if you’re like me, you’ve probably have dozens of them lying around by now from all sorts of devices. You can also use a multi-port USB charger.
It can also be charged using a car adapter, and one of the available bundles includes a basic car charger adapter. And, in probably my favorite way to charge these days, especially when traveling, you can use an external USB powerbank (this one is my current all-purpose favorite).
The USB cable is attached and folds back into the body of the charger. So you don’t have to worry about carrying around a separate cable and risking losing it.
The charger’s output is up to 1A (it adjusts automatically based on the source input), which doesn’t sound like much when we’re used to 2.4A chargers for today’s smartphones and chargers. But it’s actually in line with the official Nikon AC chargers. The output for the Nikon MH-24 charger for EN-EL14a batteries, for example, is 0.9A. The MH-25 charger for the larger Nikon batteries (EN-EL15) has a slightly stronger output–1.2A. The upshot is that the charging time with the NiteCore charger is similar to the charging time using the official Nikon AC charger.
Here’s a list of the cameras that use these batteries.
The newer EN-EL14A battery is backwards compatible with cameras that came with the older EN-EL14 battery. Similarly, the new EN-EL15A, like the one that comes with the new Nikon D7500 DSLR, battery is backwards compatible with cameras that use the EN-EL15. Although the EN-EL15A isn’t mentioned on the charger’s box or documentation, the folks at NiteCore have confirmed that the charger is compatible with those batteries.
|Battery Model||Camera Model|
What’s in the Box
There’s the charger. The USB cable is hardwired to the charger. There’s a brief instruction manual and a warranty card.
In the packaging I bought, there’s a basic car charger (cigarette-lighter style). It’s not especially good–there are much better ones available now. There’s another packaging that includes a keychain flashlight in place of the car charger. Again, it’s not particularly impressive, and neither of these make for an especially compelling attraction.
Batteries are not included.
Input: DC 5V/2A
Output: 1A (Max)
Dimensions: 3.34 x 1.96 x 0.98 in / 85 x 50 x 25 mm
Weight: 2.09 oz / 59 grams
I bought mine at Amazon.
Images and product information from Amazon Product Advertising API were last updated on 2019-05-21 at 21:48.
Popular Accessories for the Nikon D7500
- Compact super telephoto zoom lens for birding, wildlife, motorsports, events and more
- 500mm of zoom power on FX-format DSLRs; 750mm equivalent on DX-format DSLRS, Minimum Focus Distance: 7.2...
- Versatile Charging Option: Common micro-USB input and the ability to charge with a USB wall charger, car...
- More Battery, More Photo: Triple your camera runtime with a complete backup package including two...
- High-power 500mm telephoto focal length
- Includes T-mount adapter for digital and 35mm NIKON DSLR cameras
- Compatible with the Nikon D750, D7000, D7100, D7200 and D7500
- Compatible with the Nikon D800, D800E, D810, D810A and D850
- Bundle includes (1) SanDisk 128gb Ultra 80mbs Memory Card and (1) Everything But Stromboli Combo Card...
- Compatible with Nikon D3500, D7500, D5600, D5200 Digital Cameras and many other Nikon Cameras
Popular Accessories for the Nikon D3400
- Easily screws on to the front of your lens, and instantly expands the field of view for breathtaking...
- Compatible with the Nikon D3400, D5600 w/ AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
- This Tempered Glass Screen Protector fits perfectly for Nikon D3400 / D3300 / D3200 / D3100. NOT FOR...
- The High-Transparency provides you high-definition clear viewing. Hydrophobic Oleophobic screen coating...
- The easy-to-understand guide covers all aspects of the powerful Nikon D3400 so you can start shooting and...
- Learn how to shoot in auto mode, handle exposure, lighting, focus and color, choose scene modes, take...
- Kit includes: 1 Altura Photo I-TTL Auto-Focus Dedicated Flash + Wireless Camera Flash Trigger and Camera...
- Powerful dedicated I-TTL compatible flash for Nikon Digital DSLR cameras.
- COMPATIBILITY: Specially designed for Nikon D3400 DSLR camera. Note: Camera and battery not included
- CONTINUOUS VERTICAL SHOOTING: Vertical shutter release button makes shooting in a vertical position much...