One of the constant challenges that comes with digital photography is keeping batteries charged. It's not just a case of losing the light meter but keep on shooting anyway, as you could do back in the days of manual film cameras. With digital, if you don't have power you don't shoot--simple as that.
And so keeping cameras powered is now much more of an ever-present concern for photographers and a whole new opportunity for manufacturers, including after-market brands. Companies like Wasabi Power and NiteCore are stepping up to provide high-quality, affordable alternatives to the camera manufacturers' own chargers and batteries. And from time to time they provide an improvement over what the camera manufacturers themselves provide.
On one side is a charging dock for EN-EL15/EN-EL-15A batteries. That's the battery that the Nikon D750 and D810 cameras use. On the flip side is a bay for the Nikon EN-EL14/EN-EL14A batteries. That's the battery for cameras like the Nikon D3400 and D5600. (There's a more complete list of compatible batteries/cameras below.) You can charge with one battery or insert batteries in both slots and charge both simultaneously.
There's a single LED screen that displays stats for both bays. It display things like charging status, voltage, and battery health (good, normal, or poor).
By itself, this charger doesn't plug into an AC socket in the way. You can do that, but you'll need a separate USB AC adapter. Any standard one for a phone or tablet will work well--if you're like me, you've probably have dozens of them lying around by now from all sorts of devices. You can also use a multi-port USB charger.
It can also be charged using a car adapter, and one of the available bundles includes a basic car charger adapter. And, in probably my favorite way to charge these days, especially when traveling, you can use an external USB powerbank (this one is my current all-purpose favorite).
The USB cable is attached and folds back into the body of the charger. So you don't have to worry about carrying around a separate cable and risking losing it.
The charger's output is up to 1A (it adjusts automatically based on the source input), which doesn't sound like much when we're used to 2.4A chargers for today's smartphones and chargers. But it's actually in line with the official Nikon AC chargers. The output for the Nikon MH-24 charger for EN-EL14a batteries, for example, is 0.9A. The MH-25 charger for the larger Nikon batteries (EN-EL15) has a slightly stronger output--1.2A. The upshot is that the charging time with the NiteCore charger is similar to the charging time using the official Nikon AC charger.
Here's a list of the cameras that use these batteries.
The newer EN-EL14A battery is backwards compatible with cameras that came with the older EN-EL14 battery. Similarly, the new EN-EL15A, like the one that comes with the new Nikon D7500 DSLR, battery is backwards compatible with cameras that use the EN-EL15. Although the EN-EL15A isn't mentioned on the charger's box or documentation, the folks at NiteCore have confirmed that the charger is compatible with those batteries.
|Battery Model||Camera Model|
What's in the Box
There's the charger. The USB cable is hardwired to the charger. There's a brief instruction manual and a warranty card.
In the packaging I bought, there's a basic car charger (cigarette-lighter style). It's not especially good--there are much better ones available now. There's another packaging that includes a keychain flashlight in place of the car charger. Again, it's not particularly impressive, and neither of these make for an especially compelling attraction.
Batteries are not included.
Input: DC 5V/2A
Output: 1A (Max)
Dimensions: 3.34 x 1.96 x 0.98 in / 85 x 50 x 25 mm
Weight: 2.09 oz / 59 grams
I bought mine at Amazon.
Images and product information from Amazon Product Advertising API were last updated on 2019-03-23 at 04:28.
Popular Accessories for the Nikon D7500
- NEW 2017 MODEL - The new version of the Altura Photo 8MM lens is updated for 2017 with improved optics...
- MANUAL FOCUS FULL 180° VIEWS - Included removable hood allows for stunning 180° views.
- High-power 500mm telephoto focal length
- Includes T-mount adapter for digital and 35mm NIKON DSLR cameras
- Perfectly designed for the Nikon DSLR Camera. The 0.3mm screen protector leaves the touching sensitivity...
- Waterproof LCD Tempered Glass Screen Protector fit perfectly for Nikon D7500 Digital SLR Camera. Not for...
- Versatile Charging Option: Common micro-USB input and the ability to charge with a USB wall charger, car...
- More Battery, More Photo: Triple your camera runtime with a complete backup package including two...
- Note : the flash stand is included in the pouch with the flash unit. Kit includes: 1 Altura Photo I-TTL...
- Powerful dedicated I-TTL compatible flash for Nikon Digital DSLR cameras.
Popular Accessories for the Nikon D3400
- Battery Type:Li-ion, Voltage: 7.4V Capacity: 1500mAh
- Package includes 2 batteries and 1 dual USB charger with LCD display to power your Nikon EN-EL14 battery
- Great for compact-to-midrange point-and-shoot digital cameras and camcorders
- Twice As Fast As Ordinary SDHC Cards, Allowing You To Take Pictures And Transfer Files Quickly
- F Mount Lens/DX Format. Picture Angle with Nikon DX Format - 44 degree
- 52.5mm (35mm Equivalent). Rear Focusing; Manual Focus Override
- Supports Wireless Master Function
- Supports Wireless Slave Function, fully supports YN560-TX, RF-603, RF-602 Wireless transmitter
- The weight of the tripod (include the ball head) is only 2.99lbs,much lighter than 4 cans drinks(300mL)....
- The tripod combines practical and portability factors,with the maximum height (without center column) of...