The 70-200mm ƒ/2.8 zoom has long been a staple lens of Nikon and Canon. Sigma also makes them. And when paired with a 24-70mm ƒ/2.8, you get an extremely versatile two-lens combo that covers many photography needs while also keeping the lenses fast. These are both lenses that fall into the “pro” category, and the lens manufacturers ensure a build quality that’s appropriate for workhorse lenses to be used day in day out. (Sony also has a slower ƒ/4 version of the 70-200mm focal length that’s about half the price.)
If you’ve used a 70-200mm from one of the other manufacturers, you’re not in for much of a surprise with this one—its focal length is consistent with the others on full-frame sensor bodies. But my purpose in posting this here is for those who haven’t used a 70-200mm before. Maybe you’re upgrading from a slower consumer lens. Or maybe you’ve just never had the need for a fast medium telephoto zoom lens before.
So here are some practical examples to give a visual sense of the zoom range of the Sony FE 70-200mm ƒ/2.8 GM OSS lens. These were all shot on a Sony A1 full-frame body. I haven’t cropped them.
Accessories for the Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS Zoom Lens
- It takes 77mm screw-in filters: Polarizer | UV/Haze | Neutral Density
- Lens Hood: Model ALC-SH145
- Front Cap: Model ALC-F77S or Generic 77mm snap-on cap
- Rear Cap: Model ALC-R1EM
- LensCoat Protective Neoprene Cover
- The superb telephoto zoom lens covers 70 to 200 mm at a constant F2.8 maximum aperture with incomparable...
- Constant luminous intensity F2.8; Fits all E-mount cameras by Sony
- Its model number is SEL70200GM. ↩
Images and product information from Amazon PA-API were last updated on 2021-06-22 at 18:39. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon Site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.