Formatting a memory card to delete the existing files and prepare the card for the camera to use isn't hard in the Sony a6500, but the option is rather buried in the menu system. So here's a quick guide in the hope that it saves someone some time digging for it.
On the camera's main menu, you can find it under the settings tab (the toolbox icon), and then it's at the top of page 6.
You then get the obligatory warning that you're about to delete everything from the file. Technically speaking, even if you confirm this accidentally, it's likely possible to recover your photos and videos from the memory card (here's how), but it's a pain. So it's best to work on the basis that you're not going to want to recover the files.
It will then give you a progress indicator. Once it's done, it'll return back to the Setup6 page.
Related Options & Settings
While you're at it, you have some control over the ways in which data is organized on the memory card. For instance, you can specify whether the folders use the usual sequential naming system or are organized by time and date, change the three-letter prefix for the filenames, and reset the series counting for filenames. You could also do these kinds of things as part of the ingest process to a computer, but there are times where it can come in handy to set them in the camera.
Set File Name
You can change the first three characters of the filenames. This can be useful if you're shooting with multiple cameras so that you can separate out the shots from one camera from another, for instance.
The conventions are the same as many other cameras have been using for a long time now. If you're using the sRGB colorspace, the filename begins immediately with the three letters. If you're using the AdobeRGB colorspace, it automatically adds an underscore to the beginning (and there's no way to remove or change that).
Change Folder Name Format
You have the choice of the Standard Form or the Date Form.
The Standard Form creates folder names along the lines of 102MSDCF, for example. The Date Form creates folder names with numerical sequences representing the date.
Popular Accessories for the Sony a6500
Here are some popular accessories for the a6500.
- Large Capacity and Efficient: Big capacity of 1100mAh/8.14w Battery, can charge inside the camera, or...
- More Battery, More Photo: Triple your camera runtime with a complete backup package including two...
- SMALLRIG A6500 Cage for Sony A6500 1889 is a customized cage for Sony A6500. It is made of one piece of...
- This cage is perfectly matched to your camera without obstructing camera buttons and dials. The...
- Battery Type: Li-ion / Voltage:7.4V / Capacity:1500mAh
- Replacement Sony NP-FW50 Li-ion Rechargeable Battery for Sony Alpha a6500, Alpha a6300, Alpha a6000,...
- READ THE DESCRIPTION! SWITCH YOUR VIEWFINDER TO LCD/MONITOR ONLY!
- Compatible models of camera: Sony a6500 / a6300 / a6000
- COMPATIBILITY: Specifically designed for Sony A6500, made of real glass of 0.5mm thickness, which can...
- 9H HARDNESS: Made of high hardness material, after tempered steel processing, the hardness of surface up...
Images and product information from Amazon Product Advertising API were last updated on 2019-01-23 at 03:18.