The Sony a7R IV takes two memory cards (both are UHS-II slots), and you can format each one independently. Sony also creates an image database on the cards as part of the formatting and setup process. You don’t have to do anything special for that–it’s done automatically. And in case you’re wondering, no, you don’t need to fill both memory card slots, and the cards don’t have to be the same size, brand, or specs.
Here’s a quick step-by-step guide on how to format memory cards in the Sony a7R IV.
If you’ve used another Sony camera recently, the Format function will be in a familiar place. You go to the settings tab (the toolbox icon). You’ll find Format near the bottom of page 5 (Setup5).
You’ll then get presented with a page that lets you choose which of the two memory cards you want to format. You have to do them individually; you can’t format them both as part of a single operation.
The next step is the normal confirmation to ensure that you know you’re wiping everything off the card. (If you format the card or delete photos accidentally, all is not necessarily lost. It might still be possible to recover the data so long as you haven’t started writing over it again. I’ve put together some information on how to recover accidentally deleted photos and videos separately.)
Once you confirm, you’ll see a progress bar. It should only take a few seconds to finish.
Finally, you’ll see a simple “Formatting completed” message. You’re then good to go.
Tip: If you’re new to Sony cameras, you might get caught out with the way in which they’re set by default not to roll over automatically from one memory card to the next. I’ve put together a guide on how to change that behavior here.
Popular Accessories for the Sony a7R IV
- -ULTIMATE PROTECTION – This polycarbonate & ballistic nylon case for SONY A7 or A9 cameras is an...
- -TRAVEL & ADVENTURE – Prevent scratches, dirt, dust, and even moisture while traveling. D-rings with...
- Space for 2x np-fz100 batteries doubles the operation time
- Same grip and controls to match the look and feel of the Alpha 7R IV
- Ideal viewfinder eyecup eyepiece for Sony A7 A7II A7III A7R A7RII A7RIII A7RIV A7S A7SII A9 A9II A58...
- Replaces Sony FDA-EP18 FDA-EP16 FDA-EP15 eyecup
- LCD Screen Protector and Hot Shoe perfectly fit for Sony alpha A7R IV Mirrorless Digital Camera . Not for...
- 9H Hardness - Longer tempering time, which made the screen protector has a higher hardness. Prevents the...
- High capacity for long life, approx.2.2 times of the NP-FW50
- Electrical capacity of 16.4Wh (7.2V/2280mAh). Dimensions (W × H × D): Approx. 38.7 x 22.7 x 51.7 mm...
Popular Lenses for the Sony a7R IV
- Large F1.8 maximum aperture enables beautiful defocusing effects, 7-blade circular aperture creates...
- Compact, lightweight design ideal for full-frame E-mount cameras, Aspherical element controls spherical...
- G-lens design with 4 aspherical and 3 ED glass (extra-low Dispersion) elements, for high corner-to-corner...
- Constant F4 maximum aperture maintains exposure and depth of field throughout the Zoom range
- Compact Master wide prime Lens w/stunning wide-open resolution
- F1.4 max aperture provides extraordinary exposure and Depth of field
- Large F1. 8 maximum aperture enables beautiful defocusing effects
- 7-blade circular aperture creates beautiful defocused bokeh
- E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22