Newark, New Jersey, isn’t exactly known as a jewel of the American northeast. But from certain vantage points, it can actually be quite pretty. Glittery, even.
A recent job in the Newark area required hanging out of a helicopter to get some footage. On the way back from the site, I took the opportunity to grab a few stills. We passed over downtown Newark, Newark Liberty International Airport, and the lights of Baywater Refinery. The lights of Manhattan get all the love, but the lights of Newark from above have their own beauty.
All of the shots above were taken with a Nikon D800 in DX crop with a Nikon 18-200VR, handheld with a Kenyon KS-6 gyro stabilizer. It wasn’t an ideal situation for stills–we were moving at a pretty good clip and didn’t have time to hover, but the combination of the D800’s high ISO performance and the gyro worked surprisingly well.
Guidebooks for The United States
If you're looking for a guidebook to make the most of your visit, these are some of the most popular ones currently for The United States. Some are available in both paper and e-book formats.
- Lonely Planet Eastern USA
- Lonely Planet, Karla Zimmerman, Amy C Balfour, Adam Karlin, Zora O'Neill, Kevin Raub, Regis St Louis,...
- Soft cover. 496 pages. Covers 59 national parks.
- 300 photographs. 80 colorful maps. Park descriptions & brief history.
- Fodor s Pacific Northwest Portland Seattle Vancouver the Best of Oregon and Washington Full color Travel...
- Fodor's Travel Guides
- DK Travel
- Alex Pitt
- Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform