Olympus is now OM System
In 2020-21, the photography business of iconic camera brand Olympus was spun off and sold. The core remaining Olympus brand is focusing on medical and scientific products. The camera and photography side was then rebranded as OM System, with the first cameras and lenses under that brand coming out at the end of 2021.
I lay out what the available aspect ratios are below, but it’s worth leading with the catch:
These choices only apply to JPG images. RAW images will always be 5184 by 3888 pixels at a 4:3 aspect ratio regardless of which option you choose.
If you’ve selected the option save both a RAW version and a JPG (i.e., RAW+JPEG), the RAW version will be saved with that full, original size, while the JPG version will be saved with the chosen aspect ratio.
Changing the Image Aspect Ratio on the Olympus OM-1
You can find the setting for changing the aspect ratio under:
Camera Icon 1 > 1. Basic Settings / Image Quality > Image Aspect
Image Aspect Ratio Options on the Olympus OM-1
There are several options you can choose between on the OM-1. The sensor’s native aspect ratio is 4:3 (that’s where the Micro Four Thirds comes from). And if you want to keep things simple and flexible, you can leave it on that default setting and crop the images later in post-processing as needed.
The benefits to changing the aspect ratio are:
- Convenience. If you know ahead of time that you need a specific aspect ratio, setting it in the camera simply eliminates a step between shooting and sharing.
- Composition. Changing the aspect ratio applies the new aspect ratio to the live view through the viewfinder and the back screen. So it’s useful for framing the shot if you know that the end use will require a specific aspect ratio. For example, if you know you’re going to need a square image, framing the shot using a square frame is useful and eliminates guesswork.
These are the aspect ratio options available on the OM-1:
- 4:3 (default)
And here are the corresponding pixel dimensions:
Price & Availability of the Olympus OM-1
The Olympus OM-1 has an MSRP of $2199 for the body. It’s also available bundled with an impressive OM SYSTEM M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO II kits lens (MSRP of $2799 on the bundle).
Check the current price and availability at:
- 20MP Stacked BSI Live MOS MFT Sensor
- 10 fps Shooting (120 fps with electronic shutter)
- DCI/UHD 4K 60p 10-Bit Video Recording
- IP53 Weather-Sealed & Freezeproof Design
- Dual UHS-II SD Card Slots
Olympus OM-1 Accessories
These are the model numbers for the official accessories for the Olympus OM-1.
- Battery: BLX-1 lithium-ion rechargeable battery
- External Charger: BCX-1 (or SBCX-1, which includes a spare battery)
- USB-AC Adapter: F-7AC AC wall adapter
- Grip/Extended Battery Holder: HLD-10 grip
- Remote: RM-WR1 wireless remote control
- Eyecup: EP-18
Images and product information from Amazon PA-API were last updated on 2024-03-01 at 11:35. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon Site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.