The Olympus OM-1 has two SD card slots. It’s not required that you fill both of them–the camera will work just fine with only one SD card. But there are advantages do filling them both.
Olympus is now OM System
In 2020-21, the photography business of iconic camera brand Olympus was spun off and sold. The core remaining Olympus brand is focusing on medical and scientific products. The camera and photography side was then rebranded as OM System, with the first cameras and lenses under that brand coming out at the end of 2021.
Specifically, it gives you flexibility on how the slots are used. You can:
- Record only to a specific card
- Record in sequence, starting on one card and them automatically moving onto the next one when the first one is full
- Save two versions of each image with different sizes and compression ratios, one type to each card
- Save duplicate versions of each image as a real-time backup
Here’s a rundown of the options you have for choosing how the memory card slots behave when you have both of them filled.
Changing the Card Slot Settings on the Olympus OM-1
You can find this setting on the camera’s menu under:
Wrench/Spanner Icon > 1. Card/Folder/File > Card Slot Settings
It’s right next to the card formatting setting.
Card Slot Setting Options on the Olympus OM-1
This is the default setting. It records only to the designated card. This sometimes causes confusion (including for me), because it won’t roll over automatically to the next card when the first card fills up (which is, to me, a more logical default setting).
This will automatically roll over to the second card when the first card fills up.
Dual Independent Down
Saves to both cards applying their respective settings. If one card becomes full, the other cannot be saved to either.
Dual Independent Up
Saves to both cards applying their respective settings. Even if one card becomes full, the other can be saved to.
Dual Same Up
Saves to both cards applying same settings. Even if one card becomes full, the other card still be saved to.
Dual Same Down
Saves to both cards applying same settings. If one card becomes full, the other cannot be saved to either.
SD Cards for the Olympus OM-1
I’ve put together a much more detailed post on recommendations for SD cards for the Olympus for the OM-1 separately. But here’s the quick version.
The OM-1 has two SD card slots. It’s not required to fill both slots—the camera will work just fine with only one memory card—but there are advantages to doing so.
You can use SDHC or SDXC. As a practical matter, SDXC cards are probably the more logical choice simply because that designation applies to SD cards with storage capacities of 64GB and up.
Both SD card slots in the OM-1 are UHS-II slots. So to take full advantage of the camera’s capabilities, it makes sense to use UHS-II SD cards in this camera.
- SanDisk Extreme Pro
- Lexar Professional 1667x Silver V60 UHS-II
- Delkin Devices Power V90 UHS-II
- Kingston Canvas React Plus
- Sony TOUGH-G
- Tap into pro performance designed for professional and advanced photographers and videographers.
- Super-fast write speeds of up to 260MB/s help rapidly clear buffer time to support continuous burst mode...
- Get high-speed performance with UHS-II technology (U3) for a read transfer speed up to 250MB/s (1667x)
- Captures high-quality images and extended lengths of stunning 1080P full-HD, 3D, and 4K video with a DSLR...
- Uninterrupted 8K, 4K, 3D, HDR, 360º & high-speed recording
- Specialized for Simultaneous Recording
- Ultimate speeds to support professional camera use — Transfer speeds up to 300MB/s and recording speeds...
- UHS-II standard for reliable high-resolution photography and video recording — Capture 4K and 8K...
- Tough specs: world's first one-piece molded construction with high hardness materials have resulted in...
- Ribless, no write protection switch design: world's first ribless, no write protection switch design6...
Olympus OM-1 Accessories
These are the model numbers for the official accessories for the Olympus OM-1.
- Battery: BLX-1 lithium-ion rechargeable battery
- External Charger: BCX-1 (or SBCX-1, which includes a spare battery)
- USB-AC Adapter: F-7AC AC wall adapter
- Grip/Extended Battery Holder: HLD-10 grip
- Remote: RM-WR1 wireless remote control
- Eyecup: EP-18
Images and product information from Amazon PA-API were last updated on 2023-01-22 at 15:30. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon Site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.