It’s always best practice to format memory cards in the camera that you’ll be using them in. That sets the card up with the filesystem, folder hierarchy, and, in some cameras, a database file, so that the card is just how the camera expects. And it greatly reduces the risk of unexpected errors and unpleasant surprises.
Olympus is now OM System
In 2020-21, the photography business of iconic camera brand Olympus was spun off and sold. The core remaining Olympus brand is focusing on medical and scientific products. The camera and photography side was then rebranded as OM System, with the first cameras and lenses under that brand coming out at the end of 2021.
The OM-5 has two options for deleting data from the SD card.
- All Erase. This deletes the images and videos but will preserve any files you have locked (this is something you can do when viewing images on the camera’s back screen).
- Format. This wipes all data on the card and freshly prepares it for use. This is the option I’m focusing on here.
On the OM System OM-5, you can find the memory card format function under:
Setup Menu (wrench/spanner icon) > Card Setup > Format
You’ll get asked to confirm that you want to erase all the data. If there’s still data on the card that you want to keep, this would be a good time to select No and download that data.
And, finally, once you select that, you’ll get the progress bar as the format process performs.
Things Worth Knowing
The format function on the OM-5 is only a high-level format, which means it’s only wiping the file allocation table and referencing data, not the actual data itself. That makes it easier to recover photos and videos from the SD card if you need to, but it also means that the data is still there.
Much of the time, that’s all you need. But if you’re shooting sensitive material, you might want to take the SD card/s out of the camera and submit them to low-level formatting on your computer to fully wipe the data.
SD Cards for the OM System OM-5
I’ve put together a much more detailed post on recommendations for SD cards for the OM System OM-5 separately. But here’s the short version.
The OM-5 has one SD card slot.
You can use SDHC or SDXC cards. As a practical matter, SDXC cards are probably the more logical choice simply because that designation applies to SD cards with storage capacities of 64GB and up.
The SD card in the OM-5 is a UHS-II slot. So to take full advantage of the camera’s capabilities, it makes sense to use a UHS-II SD card in this camera.
- SanDisk Extreme Pro
- Lexar Professional 1667x Silver V60 UHS-II
- Delkin Devices Power V90 UHS-II
- Kingston Canvas React Plus
- Sony TOUGH-G
- Tap into pro performance designed for professional and advanced photographers and videographers.
- Super-fast write speeds of up to 260MB/s help rapidly clear buffer time to support continuous burst mode...
- Get high-speed performance with UHS-II technology (U3) for a read transfer speed up to 250MB/s (1667x)
- Captures high-quality images and extended lengths of stunning 1080P full-HD, 3D, and 4K video with a DSLR...
- Uninterrupted 8K, 4K, 3D, HDR, 360º & high-speed recording
- Specialized for Simultaneous Recording
- Ultimate speeds to support professional camera use — Transfer speeds up to 300MB/s and recording speeds...
- UHS-II standard for reliable high-resolution photography and video recording — Capture 4K and 8K...
- Tough specs: world's first one-piece molded construction with high hardness materials have resulted in...
- Ribless, no write protection switch design: world's first ribless, no write protection switch design6...
How to Format SD Cards with a Computer
While it’s best practice to format the SD cards in the camera, it is still possible to format memory cards using a card reader and computer. You get a lot more flexibility that way, but also some extra risk if things aren’t set up just how the camera wants them. It’s also sometimes a good troubleshooting step if you’re having issues with a memory card.
There are some things to watch out for, particularly when it comes to choosing which filesystem to use. So I’ve put together guides on how to format SD cards on Mac and how to use the free SD Card Formatter app for Windows or Mac.
OM System OM-5 Camera Accessories
These are the model numbers for the official accessories for the OM System OM-5.
- Battery: BLS-50 lithium-ion rechargeable battery
- External Charger: BCS-5
- USB-AC Adapter: F-5AC AC wall adapter
- Grip: ECG-5
- Remote: RM-WR1 wireless remote control
- Eyecup: EP-16 / EP-15
Images and product information from Amazon PA-API were last updated on 2023-01-22 at 15:30. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon Site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.