Formatting a memory card to delete the existing files and prepare the card for the camera to use isn’t hard in the Sony a6500, but the option is rather buried in the menu system. So here’s a quick guide in the hope that it saves someone some time digging for it.
On the camera’s main menu, you can find it under the settings tab (the toolbox icon), and then it’s at the top of page 6.
You then get the obligatory warning that you’re about to delete everything from the file. Technically speaking, even if you confirm this accidentally, it’s likely possible to recover your photos and videos from the memory card (here’s how), but it’s a pain. So it’s best to work on the basis that you’re not going to want to recover the files.
It will then give you a progress indicator. Once it’s done, it’ll return back to the Setup6 page.
Related Options & Settings
While you’re at it, you have some control over the ways in which data is organized on the memory card. For instance, you can specify whether the folders use the usual sequential naming system or are organized by time and date, change the three-letter prefix for the filenames, and reset the series counting for filenames. You could also do these kinds of things as part of the ingest process to a computer, but there are times when it can come in handy to set them in the camera.
Set the File Name
You can change the first three characters of the filenames. This can be useful if you’re shooting with multiple cameras so that you can separate out the shots from one camera from another, for instance.
The conventions are the same as many other cameras have been using for a long time now. If you’re using the sRGB colorspace, the filename begins immediately with the three letters. If you’re using the AdobeRGB colorspace, it automatically adds an underscore to the beginning (and there’s no way to remove or change that).
Change Folder Name Format
You have the choice of the Standard Form or the Date Form.
The Standard Form creates folder names along the lines of 102MSDCF, for example. The Date Form creates folder names with numerical sequences representing the date.
Sony a6500 Memory Card Recommendations
I have a separate post on Sony a6500 memory card recommendations for SD cards that will let you make use of all of the a6500’s features.
Where to Find the Sony a6500
Popular Accessories for the Sony a6500
Here are some popular accessories for the a6500.
- Package includes 2 pieces, in case of accidental loss.
- The hot shoe cap is designed for Sony Multi-interface shoe on Sony A7C, ZV-1 II, ZV-1, ZV-1F, ZV-E10,...
- ✔Exclusively Customized for Mirror-less Camera Flip Screen --- For better and accurate vlog video...
- ✔Camera Applicable --- For Sony A72 A73 Series A7II A7RIII A7M3 A6000 A6300 A6500; for Fujifilm XT2 XT3...
- Powerful Battery Capacity: Li-ion rechargeable battery 7.4V, 1500mAh and 11.1Wh, professional replacement...
- Sony NP-FW50 battery replacement: 100% Compatible with Sony Alpha a6500, a6300, a6000, a7s, a7, a7s ii,...
- SCOVEE micor usb cable connects your USB-ready computer to a digital camera like Sony Alpha a6000 a6300...
- Wide Compatibility: This micro usb cable camera cord is compatible for Sony Alpha a6000 a6300 a6400 a6500...
- ⭐The Tempered Glass Films Fit for Sony DSLR Alpha A6400 A6500 A5100 perfectly.
- ⭐Touch screen is still fully functional with PCTC Tempered Glass Films
Images and product information from Amazon PA-API were last updated on 2023-12-07 at 19:32. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon Site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.